1. Reading holiday stories to your children is a great way to begin the season; the Frank L. Weyenberg Library of Mequon-Thiensville offers a great selection of children’s books to choose from.
2. While you are at the library, pick up a Christmas classic or cookbook for yourself! Try making a new dish during the holidays and be sure to include family members.
3. Take a drive around your city and enjoy the neighborhood holiday displays.
4. Select a few great Christmas movies to watch on TV during the holidays. Serve hot, buttered popcorn and your family’s drink of choice!
My family’s favorite holiday movies are It’s a Wonderful Life, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation and Elf. Be sure to check the parental guidelines to see if these movie suggestions are appropriate for your children’s age(s).
5. If it snows, make a snowman or have a family snowball fight.
6. For the bigger kids, take a trip to the sledding hill in Mequon for an exhilarating sleigh ride!
7. Build a roaring fire and enjoy a cup of hot cocoa with family or friends.
8. Take a long walk on a snowy night and sing Christmas carols.
9. Go window shopping at night and enjoy the beautiful local holiday window displays.
10. Volunteer your services at a local charity, food pantry or nursing home. Make someone else’s holiday a little brighter… and you’ll feel better for it and so will they.