This month I have been focusing on a huge restoration project, but my thoughts on interior design remain constant and parallel to what I have been sharing with you all month long. Creating lasting style for your home is easy when you follow these five simple steps.
1. Good design takes time, thought, and creativity. Take the time to create a restful, comfortable home for yourself and loved ones. It will be well worth the time, money, and effort. You cannot put price on beauty and comfort and what effect it has on your soul.
2. Set design goals and stay focused on the end result. Working towards a completed professionally designed interior is not always an easy task. You may find yourself tempted to make changes midcourse or second guess yourself. Don't do it! Stay on task and you will be rewarded with a fabulous space.
3. Start curating your home now and edit ruthlessly. Keep only what you love and what will enhance your life. If it brings a smile to your face, keep it.
4. Invest in quality home furnishings that are classic, comfortable, and function well in your space and fit your lifestyle.
5. Don't buy into the high-low design concept. Mixing inexpensive accents will diminish and overshadow the quality and uniqueness of your design project. It's better to invest in a quality item once than to replace inexpensive items multiple times in the future.
My parting words...
If you are in doubt about any aspect of your design project, don't proceed. It's just that simple, listen to that inner voice and know that the solution that is right for you will appear. If not, consult with an experienced interior designer and express your concerns. Ask for additional design direction, and you will be glad you did. Happy decorating everyone!
Yours, Tara Wilke