If you’re thinking about putting your home on the market, be sure to read “What’s Tending in Homebuying” in January’s Milwaukee Magazine! I was interviewed for this article and here is my suggestion: Traditional pieces are the latest trend in furniture. The sleek design molds traditional and contemporary qualities to form an eye-appealing appearance. “It’s a very clean look, and clients can easily mix in other pieces. For those listing a home on the market, Wilke suggests going with a neutral colored sofa in a transitional style and hanging over-scale art. Buyers can be taken aback from strong color choices.” To view the article in entirety, please visit our media/press page.
This photograph was not in Milwaukee Magazine however it is an excellent example of a neutral interior that would be appealing to buyers and would travel well to your new environment.
TARA’S TAKE ON DESIGN:
Here are a few additional suggestions for staging your home:
1. Edit all of those possessions! Do they reflect who you are now? Do you use them on a weekly, monthly or yearly basis?
2. Pass on what you don’t use to family members who will use those items and love family heirlooms.
3. No one wants your stuff?! Don’t take it personally; donate it to your local thrift shop or charity.
4. Keep your interior orderly when it comes time to sell your home.
5. Embrace aromatherapy!
6. Remove all family photos and excess reading materials.
7. De-clutter bookshelves.
8. Remove everything from your kitchen counters except a candle and fresh flowers.
9. Get rid of anything that is permanently soiled, torn or just worn out. People will get distracted by your possessions and start thinking that if you have not paid attention to the interior of your home that the mechanicals are not up to par.
10. Repaint interior walls in neutral colors, polish wood floors and deep clean all wall to wall carpeting.
11. If it is in the budget, consider purchasing new furniture and area rugs that will travel to your new address.
12. Your home is a representation of who you are, where you’ve been and now where you are going. By editing your space now you will feel inspired to begin a fresh start. The added advantage is that you will have less to move!
I hope you’ve enjoyed these tips and even if you’re not moving in 2015, these are good organizational tips in general.